Thursday, July 12, 2012

Day Twenty Six - We Made It...

50 some Fellows turned in their final papers today, and breathed a collective sigh of relief.  For me, the feeling though was different than the first paper.  I first thought that it was because I knew I was done, that "the hay is in the barn" and that the paper I turned in was my best effort, it would secure my grade, and if nothing else, with turning in this paper "I was dancing with the one that brung me".

But as I have reflected on the day, and after our afternoon session in which we discussed Dr. Belz's outlook on what this Fellowship should be, I think differently.  When we mentioned the desire to have more sessions helping us to take this wealth of knowledge and incorporate it in our classrooms, Dr. Morrison said that Dr. Belz believes that by our being here, we are among the best Social Studies teachers in the country, and that we can figure out how to incorporate it ourselves.  He wants us to be immersed in scholarly discussion and debate while we are here for our personal knowledge.  Lew Larsen (the President of the Foundation), echoed the same sentiment to me tonight.

So I think the sense I felt when I turned in my paper was not relief, but instead a sense of accomplishment.  I was thoroughly challenged for the last month, and I made it.  I was put through an intensive study that has been more difficult than any class I have taken EVER, and I walked out the end a better educator and scholar.

I told my wife that I am leaving here inspired.  I have this desire for more scholarship, evidenced by my list of 30 or so books that I want to get and read.  I also mentioned that I feel like one day continuing my education to get a PhD.  I could hear it in her voice, "how much in student loans would that cost?".  The realist in me knows that there are other more important goals in my life currently (finishing my Masters, starting a family, etc.) to do this right now.

But it is important for all of us to keep that scholarly desire kindled.  We cannot, for our sake and the sake of the Foundation's charge to us, let this fire die out.  We owe it to our students and our colleagues to share what we have learned.

I am taking this personally, and I hope that each and every one of us do too.

MEET THE FELLOWS: Danielle Gurnea is from New Mexico.  While she seems quiet and reserved, she was probably the most social of us.  While everyone here was welcoming and friendly, I think she hung out with more people over the course of the Institute than anyone.  And anytime someone posted on Facebook, she was always the first, or among the first to "Like" the comment.  It has been enjoyable to get to know her!

TOMORROW: We all pack into planes or cars to return to our normal life!

No comments:

Post a Comment