Saturday, June 30, 2012

Day Fourteen - A Day Off...

Today was a much needed day off for all of us.  And we all spent it in our own ways.  Several rode up to Gettysburg, many went around DC in 100 degree weather, and others slept in and enjoyed a morning of no paper writing.  I chose to see some sights today, starting with the Capitol.  The Capitol building is immaculate.  The stories about the old House Chamber, the Freedom Statue on top of the dome, the Hall of Statues and more are engaging and well worth your time to hear.  I hope that if you ever go though, you get an engaging tour guide to make it worth your time.  The one we had today was completely aloof and uninspiring.  He wasn't even going to demonstrate the "Whispering Chamber" until someone asked about it.  (For those of you who don't know what that means, here's your chance to be a historical detective.)

Following our tour, I split from that group to join another group at the Smithsonian History of the American Indian Museum.  That is definitely a place to go see.  It's one of those places that people should go to visit, but can't fit it in with all of the other sights.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying its more important than the Lincoln Memorial or one of the other Smithsonians, but it is an example of a treasure that our capital holds that is under appreciated.  Challenge for you future DC travelers.  If you are a veteran of the DC area, and have seen the major sights, next time you come to tour, spend a day visiting places like the American Indian Museum or the African American Art Museum.  Take the road less traveled.  If you are planning a trip, and you have never been, or its been years, by all means, see the grand sights and revel in their splendor.  But take a little time to visit one of the lesser known sights and enjoy what else the city has to offer.

Finally, I went to the Holocaust Memorial Museum.  They have several exhibits that you can walk into, including a Nazi Propaganda exhibit that I hear is spectacular (though I didn't take the time to go in today).  But the permanent exhibit is, in my humble opinion, the best exhibit in DC.  It is well done, captivating, and will really make the history come alive.  This is a must see.

On a lighter note, I have noticed several quirks in the last couple of weeks.  The major one happened yesterday, when in the middle of printing a 10 page document, the printer decided to stop printing and start cycling and shooting out blank pages.  This has happened a few times in the last two weeks, though I have never had problems before.  Add to this that in the first week, the TV that I brought, thinking I was going to get cable, turned on automatically.  It was the strangest thing, because it too had never happened.  Then tonight, I went to do some laundry.  As I walked back to the elevator, I heard it ding as if it was on the basement level.  I hurried up to it and sure enough, it came down to the basement.  Only nobody was in the elevator, and the button had not been pushed.  So I have come  to the only logical conclusion: my room is possessed.  I say this because below my side of Copley Hall is a crypt.  They say that nobody is buried there, but none of us have seen it for ourselves.  Also, outside my side of the building is a small cemetery.  So it is perfectly logical to assume that supernatural forces are at work in my room.

MEET THE FELLOWS: Liz Todd is a junior fellow from Kentucky.  She has not taught in the United States yet, but has a year of teaching experience in France while her boyfriend was playing basketball in Switzerland.  That would be the gig to have.  Imagine taking a weekend or long break to travel in France, or go to Switzerland, Spain, Austria, or wherever else.  I am definitely jealous.

TOMORROW: Sleeping in, maybe to Ford's Theater and an Art Gallery or something, maybe hanging out here, or maybe the Kennedy walking tour of Georgetown.  Who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment