Thursday, June 28, 2012

Day Twelve - Paper is Done...

Finally, my paper is done.  Over 2,700 words about republicanism present in the 17th century colonial documents and how they co-exist with monarchical rule of Britain.  

I have always performed better on papers at the last minute, when the pressure is on.  I was determined to break that through a systematic process of outlines and writing over time.  But wouldn't you know it, an addition made this morning, combined with a lunchtime chat with the professor, and a moment of inspiration tonight conspired to have me write/re-write huge chunks again, making some of my efforts to be early an exercise in futility.  But it is finished, and waiting for the grading of Dr. Dreisbach.

Facebook showed tonight a great relief out of many of my colleagues.  A couple mentioned celebratory libations.  I passed, citing karma in my decision.  The moment I step out of the room, my computer will crash and erase my flash drive, causing my paper to go down in a flame of bytes.  If I eject my flash drive and shut down my computer to mitigate the scenario, I fear a scene out of Final Destination 12 that sends a power surge through the printer, setting my desk on fire and scorching the flash drive.  I'm not superstitious, but I want to be cautious.

On a different note, it was an exciting day in DC.  The final 15 Supreme Court decisions were released today, though 99% of the population probably cannot name 2 of them.  But everyone knows the big one of the day.  We followed it closely, and went through a dizzying 15-20 minutes.  I was on SCotUSBlog when it was announced that the individual mandate was upheld, but the guy beside of me had his phone on CNN.com that said it was struck down in a "Dewey Defeats Truman" sort of way.  Then we heard 6-3, 5-4, and it took some time to parse through what it really means.  

In the midst of the celebration/moaning about the decision, take time to reflect on the course of the law.  Congress passed a major piece of legislation, with all of its pros and cons.  The law went into effect.  It was challenged in several states, some of which upheld it and some struck it down.  The Supreme Court reviewed the law, and made a decision on its Constitutional merits.  There is a civics lesson for you.

MEET THE FELLOWS: Brooks Etheridge is from Alabama.  He drove to Washington, DC via Cleveland, Ohio.  For those who are geographically challenged, that is the equivalent of going around to elbow to scratch your... well you know.  But he did it in order to work on a lifelong dream of his: to attend a baseball game in every stadium in Major League Baseball.  He added Cleveland prior to arriving in DC, and then marked Pittsburgh off the list last weekend.  I think he has a couple others on his agenda for the next couple of weeks as well.  I know that he is enjoying attaining his goal.

TOMORROW: Turning in the paper, then going to do something relaxing... don't know what yet, but I guarantee it won't be writing papers.

No comments:

Post a Comment