Sunday, June 17, 2012

Dorm Life and Getting Started

On Saturday, I returned to dorm life for the first time since my college days.  I moved in to Copley Hall at Georgetown University into a double-occupancy dorm room.  I am here for my Summer Institute with the James Madison Fellowship.  For those of you who do not know, the James Madison Fellowship is awarded to approximately 50 social studies teachers across the nation each year.  The Fellowship is designed to give teachers a stronger background in Constitutional history and theory.  $24,000 towards a graduate degree is also an attractive incentive.  As part of the Fellowship (and 6 credit hours), each Fellow must attend a four-week summer institute.  The institute is intensive, as we have 7 books and a 400 page coursepack to go through.  However, the fact that I can study in our nation's capital is exciting...

...but there is the issue of the dorm life.  

I am in a double-occupancy room (fortunately by myself) connected to a second room by a shared bathroom.  It is your typical dorm setting, with two beds, two desks, two dressers, and two "closets".  The paper thin sheets and scratchy bath towels add to the humble settings.  I wasn't expecting a 4-star hotel, but in all my preparations for this institute, confining myself to a 14' x 14' room was not a part of that.  

As I sat at my computer, listening to the hodgepodge that is my iTunes, and working on the first set of discussion questions, I reflected on my "predicament".  I feel like the scene in Dead Poets Society where Neil visits Mr. Keating in his room to discuss his love for acting, where Keating has to move books out of the way for Neil to sit.  And I realized I have a golden opportunity.  During these next four weeks, I can study with some amazing colleagues from all over the country (and Cuba!), enriching my intellect with their thoughts and interpretations of books like The Founding Fathers Reconsidered by R. B. Bernstein, and discussing the educational successes and challenges from their districts, and not be distracted by (many of) the modern conveniences that eat into my day.  

I will definitely miss my wife over these weeks, but am comforted by the love and support she provides.  I will miss mindlessly watching my favorite shows.  I will miss the minor events in the world of sports.  But I believe these next four weeks will be an incredible experience that I want to take advantage of.

TOMORROW: Day One of classes, and the first of the Meet the Fellows!

3 comments:

  1. I greatly enjoyed the read! I am so proud of and for you. Enjoy the experience. You will forever be changed by it and your students will benefit for many years to come...oh to go back to dorm life :-) Most of us dream about it. You get to live it. Can't wait to hear more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Can't wait to read more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a fellow, you provided an excellent summary of our experience. As much as I miss home, I feel incredibly blessed to be participating.

    ReplyDelete